I originally posted this in 2009. I made it for company a few of weeks ago. I thought it was delicious without any additional sauce. And french bread is better than Texas Toast.
This is a recipe from one of my cookbooks (Gooseberry Patch).I don't make it often but it is DELICIOUS!
A great breakfast to make ahead- makes the morning easy!
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1/2 C. butter
3 eggs
1 C. milk
1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. vanilla
4 Granny Smith Apples peeled and sliced thin
9 slices day-old French bread
Combine brown sugar, butter in saucepan and heat until thick. Pour into an ungreased 13”x9” pan. Arrange apples slices on top of syrup. Mix eggs, milk and vanilla together in bowl and dip French bread in mixture. Arrange bread on top of apple slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove 30 minutes before baking and uncover.
Bake at 350˚ for 35-40 min. or until the top of the bread is browned.
Sauce (optional):
1 C. applesauce 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
10 oz. jar apple jelly 1/8 tsp cloves
Combine and heat, serve over french toast

No comments:
Post a Comment