This recipe is famous on the Prince side of the family. There wasn't actually a written recipe until Joe's Mom wrote it down as she made it a few years ago. We had a Peanut Butter Fudge making contest at the Prince family reunion in 2004. That was the first time I ever tried to make it. It turned out so dry and crumbly that I decided I had better practice. I practiced more than I should - but I finally mastered it (although no one can make it as good as Joe's Mom or Grandma Prince!).Since it is best to have someone teach you how to make it I took step by step photos....well, Dallin helped me take the photos. He's turning into quite a little photographer!
Start with these four very simple ingredients: Cocoa, Sugar, Milk & Peanut Butter
Measure 3 C. sugar into medium sauce pan. Add 3 Tbl. cocoa.
Mix the sugar and cocoa together until all the lumps are gone. This is a good job for the kids- and they love to help! Helping make the fudge is part of what makes it so good.
Pour the milk into the pan and stir until well mixed- kids can help do this as well. 
Cook on med-high heat, stirring until rolling boil, then stop stirring. It is important not to stir it after it has started boiling.
Turn heat on medium-low and cook for approximately 7 minutes. Test the fudge ever few minutes until done. The time depends on your stove. A gas stove seems to cook faster.
Testing: Put a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter on a small plate and add at least 3 Tbl. fudge. Stir together. The fudge will have boiled down (see picture below) when it is nearly ready. When the test is the consistency you like (when it sets up well), take the fudge off the burner and place in a sink with a few inches of cold water. Be careful not to get any water in the pan- that will ruin the fudge. 
Add about 1 C. peanut butter- a few heaping spoonfuls.
Slowly stir peanut butter in. Let pan cool in water for a minute and then remove. Continue to stir VIGOROUSLY until the fudge gets thick. Then pour onto a plate. If you have a party this won't last long.
No comments:
Post a Comment