visitors this week

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Canned Peaches

This is what I am doing today!! We picked peaches yesterday and I am so excited to have canned peaches again. If only they could peel and slice themselves!

original post 9/26/09
You will need peaches, sugar, water, clean quart jars with rings and new canning lids and a hot water bath canner.

To prepare jars, clean them and fill with 1/3 C. sugar and 1 Cup boiling water. Stir sugar around until it is dissolved. Rinse peaches and blanche in boiling water for approx. 1 minute 10 seconds (I don't have a minute timer so I just guess on the time). Put peaches into a bowl of cold water. Peel skin off peaches using a paring knife. Slice and drop into jars. Fill to 1" from the rim. If more water is needed to fill in around the peaches- pour boiling water in. The lids should be in boiling water. Wipe the rim of each jar with a clean wet cloth. Put lid and ring on jars and tighten. To seal, place jars in hot water bath canner. Water should be 1" above the jars. Bring water to a boil and keep it at a boil for 37-40 minutes (varies with elevation. We are at 6,800ft.). Turn off heat and remove jars from water. Place on a towel. Let the jars cool for 12 hours. They should seal. Clean sealed jars with soap and water before storing. Refrigerate peaches before eating- they are best cold.

No comments: