Biscuits and Gravy is one of Joe's favorite breakfasts. I don't make it often, to say the least. But it is delicious! Homemade biscuits are the best. In this photo I used Krusteaz mix for convenience. It took a long time before I was confident enough to make the gravy. Once I thought I would add some flavor since the sausage we had didn't have much flavor. So I added chicken bouillion. That wasn't a big hit. In fact- it was horrible. Using a good flavored sausage is worth it.Gravy
1lb Pork Sausage
1/4 C Flour
about 2 C. Milk
Salt and Pepper
Brown sausage in large skillet. Drain grease into bowl. Return sausage to skillet and up to 2 tsp. drained drippings. Sprinkle flour over sausage and mix around until sausage appears coated. Add milk. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. The gravy will thicken. Once gravy reaches desired thickness, shut off heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Buttermilk Biscuits
1 C. all-purpose fluor
1 C. whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C. butter softened
1 C. milk
In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt; mix well. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a cup or mason jar and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 9-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Tip: If you don't have a rolling pin handy- you can use a pint size jar to roll the dough and the use it to cut out the biscuits. When it's time for clean up you can us the open end of the jar to scrape the counter clean.
1 comment:
Devin loves this breakfast food too but I don't make if often either. It's yummy but a lot of work for a week day for us. Thanks for sharing all these fun ideas! I love them!
Post a Comment